Early Settlers...
Residents in 1878 when town was first platted. on the shores of Lake Kampeska... Photo Courtesey of Codington County Historical Society |
George C. Ball
J.B. Ball C.A. Beck 0.T. Bigelow E.N. Brann E.A Brizee G.H. Cady C.0. Carpenter N. Clark George Davison William Delap Charles Deming WH. Donaldson John H. Drake W. Gillett I.T. Griner George E. Hanson H. Hanson A.D, Heath F. Hopkins F. Hoskins P.E. How |
A.D, Heath
F. Hopkins F. Hoskins P.E. How P. Inglesby O.P. Kemp J. C. Kuney 0. Larsen J.A. Lee L.L. Leach William Lybarger H. McMillan J.C. Miler Otto Olsen G. Oshier A.F. Paulson M.O. Paulson W.W. Prout George Riggs E. Robbins Bradley Rogers |
John B. Severy
Louis Slosson R.B. Spicer J.R. Stowell James E. Tanner O.H. Tarbell W.R. Thomas George N. Tuthill Gilbert Tuthill E.H. Ulrich M.E Waite W.C. Waite K.W. Warner R.T. Warner E . J. Webster A.E. Weston E. Wheelock C. R. Williams *** C.H: Wildon |
Stony Point...
Stony Point Amusement Park at Lake Kampeska began as a tree claim acquired by Charles Williams in 1883. When the land turned out to be unsuitable for farming (too rocky), Williams noticed the lake attracted visitors who fished and camped on its shores. Charles started by opening a small store to provide necessary provisions to the guests. Soon he expanded the business to include a bathhouse, trap shoot, a slide at the lake, horse barn and gas station. Fishing tackle and a fleet of boats to rent were added. Cottages and homes began sprouting up and in 1900, a 60-foot excursion launch called 'Stella Mae' was added. In 1912, the Spider Palace was built, offering beer, billiards and dancing. A round roller rink (Spider Web) and a recreation food area were added later featuring a bowling alley & a 300-foot bar, said to be the longest in South Dakota. Heavy snows collapsed the Spider Palace roof in November 1946. It was rebuilt the next year and the Lawrence Welk's Orchestra played at the opening dance. Charles eldest son, Bill Williams, eventually took over operation & development and Stoney Point enjoyed continued success until the 1960s when attendance began declining due to changing taste and television. The Spider Palace remained in operation for until snow again caved in the roof in February 1978. The structure has not been rebuilt. |
|
On the road...
|
With so many cars traveling the area, the first speeding limit was imposed for the city in September 1903. The city council established a speed limit of six miles per hour for the business district and 10 mph for the rest of the city. With the introduction of the Model T in 1908, the automobile was everywhere. By January 1912, the Watertown Auto Club was organized and was instrumental in helping to establish good roads for the area. By 1914, South Dakota had more cars per capita than any other state in the country. |
An early 1890 Watertown directory included these family names familiar to our classmates. | |
Bergen, Peter, carpenter, Berner, T. L., carriage painter, Boetcher, John, proprietor, Briggs, S. A., insurance agent, Chandler, Orin , farmer, Davis, Frank, engineer, England, Andrew, farmer, Gibson, Martha, homemaker, Hanson, Hendrick, carpenter, Hanson, R., shoemaker, Jensen, Amos, hotel clerk, Jensen, James, laborer, Johnson, Albert, plasterer, Johnson, Curtis B., brickmason, Johnson, Edward, mason, Johnson, George W., mason, Johnson, James M., plasterer, Larson, A., shoemaker, Larson, C. W., printer, McAlister, Allie, dressmaker, |
Middleton, Matthew, laborer, Miller, E. W., carpenter, Miller, J. M., land clerk, Mills, Mrs. Addie, homemaker, Nelson, Rev. A., pastor, Nelson, Andrew, laborer, Olsen, Hagen, cabinet maker, Olsen, L., carpenter, Peterson, Peter, tinner, Riley, Albert, engineer, Skinner, George A., farmer, Smith, George, farmer, Smith, O. M., blacksmith Thomas, G. W., lawyer, Thomas, L. M., postmaster, Thompson, T. R., mason, Timmerman, J. A., laborer, Wagner, Mack, farmer, West, James E., attorney Yetter, C. E., brakeman, |
THIS WEBSPACE PROVIDED BY NORTHERN VALLEY COMMUNICATIONS - www.nvc.net